About The Company
The company is a leading independent global asset management firm.
The company provides it's institutional, retail and high net-worth clients with access to skilled investment professionals representing a broad range of asset classes, including equities, fixed income, and alternatives.
Based in London, the firm is one of Europe’s largest investment managers, with £100.9bn assets under management (as at 30 September 2016) and employs more than 1000 people worldwide.
About The Department
Operational Risk forms part of the wider Risk team within the Assurance function (Risk, Compliance and Internal Audit), which reports directly to the Chief Risk Officer (CRO). Operational Risk works closely with management and the business to:
- Develop and embed a risk management culture within the firm world-wide
- Operate an effective risk management framework that provides appropriate support to the business in recognising key business risks and mitigating them appropriately
- Ensure key risk information is reported and escalated appropriately to ExCo and the BRC
About The Role
The firm is in the process of enhancing its Operational Risk Framework and working towards a merged global organisation. As a consequence, the incumbent team are focussing a significant amount of their time on the delivery of those key objectives. The role is key to the success of those deliverables as the successful applicant will provide senior risk expertise to support the current Operational Risk team “business as usual” activities across all areas of the business (primarily UK but some US).
- Proactively contribute to the process for evaluating and rectifying incidents across the business, chairing major incident committees where relevant, ensuring swift resolution of the incident and that client interest is central to the process, capturing root causes, lessons learnt, ensuring actions for future risk mitigation are implemented and relevance to other business areas or processes is considered.
- Continue to embed the key risk metrics collation and Board Risk Committee Risk Appetite reporting process.
- Ad hoc risk advisory to support the business where required.
- RCSA review and challenge. Pro-actively contribute to the continued roll-out and further development of the risk and control self-assessment (RCSA) process across the global firm.
- Issues and action management support and challenge.
- Thematic review reporting.
Provide specialist operational risk input into relevant business projects, to ensure that operational risk issues are properly considered in all material decisions and reported appropriately.
Skills & Qualifications
- Educated to degree level or holding a relevant professional qualification e.g. Accountancy, Risk Management, CFA etc.
- Significant previous Asset Management sector Operational Risk experience (7+ years)
- Strong relationship building attributes enabling solid relationships to be developed with all levels of the business
- Professional credibility gained through relevant operational risk experience
- The strength of character to be able to present risk management and compliance issues firmly to senior management and deliver appropriate challenge when necessary
- Pro-active team player who will be an ambassador for operational risk management inacross the firm and for the Head of Operational Risk within the team
- Strong communication, reporting and presentation skills
- A multi-tasker who focuses on delivery with the ability to work to tight deadlines
- Deals well with pressurised situations, focusing on the task in hand and objective solutions
- The ability to act independently and influence a variety of stakeholders, including senior management, in order to achieve their objectives
- A strong problem solving, analytical and objective mindset