About The Company
The company is a leading independent global asset management firm.
The firm provides its institutional, retail and high net-worth clients with access to skilled investment professionals representing a broad range of asset classes, including equities, fixed income, and alternatives.
Based in London, the firm is one of Europe’s largest investment managers, with £92.7bn assets under management (as at 31 March 2016) and employs around 1000 people worldwide.
About The Department
Operational Risk forms part of the wider Risk team within the Assurance function (Risk, Compliance and Internal Audit), which reports directly to the Chief Risk Officer (CRO).
Operational Risk works closely with management and the business to:
- Develop and embed a risk management culture within the firm's global operations
- Operate an effective risk management framework that provides appropriate support to the business in recognising key business risks and mitigating them appropriately
- Ensure key risk information is reported and escalated appropriately to the Board Risk Committee, Executive Committee and other relevant governance committees
About The Role
Provide senior input into, and help drive the development of, the design, measurement, evaluation and reporting of operational risk across all areas of the business globally, and report clear risk information to the Board Risk Committee (BRC) and the Executive Committee (ExCo), upon which business decisions may be made.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- Facilitate the embedding of a culture of risk management throughout the business on a global basis by actively cultivating and maintaining key relationships, in particular with senior stakeholders. Proactively provide advice and support on risk management issues and demonstrating to Management the benefits to be derived from such a culture.
- Provide experienced input into the development, management and maintenance of the firm's operational risk framework, incorporating management tools, techniques and reports to support the business, ExCo, BRC and regulators. These include, but are not limited to: risk appetite, risk and control self- assessment, risk indicators and risk event evaluation.
- Proactively contribute to the process for evaluating and rectifying incidents across the business, chairing major incident committees where relevant, ensuring swift resolution of the incident and that client interest is central to the process, capturing root causes, lessons learnt, ensuring actions for future risk mitigation are implemented and relevance to other business areas or processes is considered.
- Contribute to the on-going development and production of the firm's semi-annual ICAAP through the collation of risk data and coordination of operational risk workshops with senior management. Actively look to enhance the process and embed into day to day risk management decisions in the business.
- Represent Operational Risk in presentations to prospective and existing clients, committees and boards, as appropriate, and through membership of relevant control committees.
- Provide specialist operational risk input into relevant business projects, to ensure that operational risk issues are properly considered in all material decisions and reported appropriately.
- Manage risk and control thematic or deep dive reviews in appropriate areas of the business, either in a standalone capacity or as part of the Combined Assurance Methodology (CAM) operated with Internal Audit and Compliance.
- Drive the effective implementation, use and development of the firm's Governance, Risk and Control system as the key business tool for providing on-going reporting that controls are effectively designed and implemented. Utilise and develop the system to ensure that quality management information is delivered to the appropriate business area management and staff to facilitate the effective management of operational risks.
- Pro-actively contribute to the continued roll-out and further development of the risk and control self-assessment (RCSA) process across the global firm.
- Develop, implement and oversee processes required to demonstrate continuing effectiveness of the firm's control environment to meet the requirements of the Combined Code and the ‘Annual Report on Internal Controls’ (ISAE 3402).
- Provide support to the Operational Risk team’s maintenance of the firm's global business continuity management framework and procedures.
- Maintain awareness of developments in operational risk and control assessment in the industry, provide ‘thought-leadership’ to management on issues relevant to the firm's business profile and as a result, build enhanced processes for risk management solutions.
- Manage, develop and mentor more junior team members to ensure that development opportunities are maximised and appropriate levels of support are provided.
- Support the Head of Operational Risk to discharge their responsibilities, act as their deputy and cover in their absence.
Technical Skills & Qualifications
- Educated to degree level or holding a relevant professional qualification e.g. Accountancy, Risk Management, CFA etc.
- Significant previous Asset Management experience required
- Significant preview Operational Risk experience required – the candidate should ideally have experience as a senior risk manager already.
- Strong relationship building attributes enabling solid relationships to be developed with all levels of the business
- Professional credibility gained through relevant operational risk experience
- The strength of character to be able to present risk management and compliance issues firmly to senior management and deliver appropriate challenge when necessary
- Pro-active team player who will be an ambassador for operational risk management across the firm and for the Head of Operational Risk within the team
- Strong communication, reporting and presentation skills
- A multi-tasker who focuses on delivery with the ability to work to tight deadlines
- Deals well with pressurised situations, focusing on the task in hand and objective solutions
- The ability to act independently and influence a variety of stakeholders, including senior management, in order to achieve their objectives
- A strong problem solving, analytical and objective mindset