About The Company
The firm invests in various asset classes, for numerous clients, from operations based in Edinburgh, Boston and London, and has subsidiary operations in India and China. The Investment Risk Team is part of the Investment Governance Team, which is an integral part of the control environment at the firm. The team aims to ensure that the various investment teams throughout the company operate within constraints consistent with regulatory and client expectations, both in terms of performance aspirations and risk tolerances.
The Investment Risk Management team is broadly allocated into specialist functions. This role is for a Risk Manager in the Portfolio Analytics sub team. Key responsibilities of the team include:
- Accurate and timely provision of market and liquidity risk measurement of the company portfolios.
- Provision of consultancy and reporting services across the wider business for risk and portfolio analytics information.
- Enhance the use of risk analytics tools across the company to optimise the firm's existing investment processes and provide a competitive advantage in client propositions.
This role will suit an individual with a strong IT and quantitative risk background.
- Provide technical leadership in technological builds within the Risk team.
- Develop programming standards and embedding best practices for systems development within the Risk team.
- Develop, build and maintain the Risk team databases and in-house built tools
- Work with key stakeholders within Investment Governance, Portfolio Management and the Global Client Group to understand their risk and portfolio analytics requirements
- Design, development and delivery of innovative solutions, including portfolio construction tools, which enhance the use of risk analytics within the firm's investment process.
- Provide expertise on risk analytics and risk modelling to support the build and design of tools which enhance risk analysis and portfolio construction.
- Effective representation of the Investment Risk Management team in risk-focussed discussions across the company
- Liaison with internal and external data providers to ensure accurate and complete data feeds into our risk models continue to add value
- Establish and maintain robust controls and documentation around the risk measurement processes
- Undergraduate degree, ideally in a numerical discipline with a significant computing programming component
- Programming skills: Proficient in VBA, SQL Server, Matlab, R or other commonly used programming language.
- Demonstrable relevant work experience in a similar role within the asset management or sell side industry
- Strong knowledge of securities/financial instruments
- Advanced Excel
- Strong numeracy skills and attention to detail
- Strong understanding of risk factors and risk models
- In depth knowledge of portfolio and financial theory
- Working knowledge of risk model(s): RiskMetrics, APT, UBS Delta
- Working knowledge of investment systems: Bloomberg, Factset, Datastream
- IMC/CFA/PRM would be advantageous
- Accuracy & Numeracy
- Customer Focus
- Planning & Organisation
- Willingness to take responsibility
- Good communication skills
- Team spirit and desire to work as a part of a team
- “Can-do” attitude
- Ideation and creative thinking
Possible Career Paths
The requirement for risk analytics is rapidly expanding as the business/industry demand from this area grows. This has led to the creation of a dedicated role to meet this need. This role will present a number of opportunities for the appointed candidate to develop additional responsibilities and help define and shape the provision of the team’s services into the future. Naturally, there will be the opportunity to truly specialise within the role or alternatively develop knowledge and expertise across the Investment Risk Management spectrum.
This is not an FSA regulated role