The firm is a leading independent global asset manager, dedicated to delivering the best outcomes for clients through a highly diversified range of actively-managed products.
We support our individual and institutional investors across a range of products, encompassing equities, fixed income, multi-asset and alternatives.
We are a team of independent and innovative thinkers who work tirelessly to help our clients achieve their goals – and we do it by fostering an energetic and collaborative culture that ensures our people love the place they work.
The firm is a truly global asset manager with US$331bn1 of assets under management. We have a diverse geographic footprint, employing close to 2500 staff in 28 offices globally. Headquartered in London, we are dual-listed on the New York Stock Exchange and the Australian Securities Exchange.
The Investment Risk team is concerned with understanding client expectations and providing independent challenge to ensure the fund risk profile reflects these expectations. On a working basis, this involves working closely with the Portfolio Risk & Analytics team, senior management and fund managers, providing independent challenge to ensure fund risk levels are in line with expectations. Therefore, as part of the process, understanding the fund manager views and convictions are crucial to ensure alignment with the fund aim and risk profile. Furthermore, the investment risk team takes a broad view across the entire fund range to ensure that risk issues are escalated and resolved.
The Investment Risk team is part of the Risk function and has been designed to be functionally independent from the portfolio management process, and forms part of the “second line of defence” across the firm's funds. Whilst independent by reporting line, the Investment Risk team is located alongside the Portfolio Risk & Analytics team and also physically close to the majority of fund managers which is designed to maximise the benefits of independence and good communication/interaction with the fund managers on an ongoing basis. There are strong formal oversight and escalation mechanisms in place with regular risk meetings with fund managers attended by independent risk personnel and a monthly Investment Performance and Risk Committee attended by senior investment and risk personnel.
Overview of the Role
To provide independent challenge for both the Portfolio Risk & Analytics team and the investment function across a variety of different asset class funds. Ultimately the aim of the role is to ensure fund risk profiles reflect client expectations but also that customers are treated fairly. This is achieved through working with the Portfolio Risk & Analytics team and fund managers on a regular basis to help them manage risk through the oversight meetings.
There is a requirement to escalate concerns and highlight the levels/split of risk to senior management including the Head of Investment Risk. The nature of the role demands a quantitative mindset, excellent communication skills, creativity and good knowledge of all asset classes and various fund structures.
A strong understanding of fund risks and risk systems as well as the strengths and weaknesses of them will be a significant advantage. Strong candidates will possess good communication/ interpersonal skills, a good understanding of risk models and different investment processes combined with self-sufficiency and initiative.
The role will also have heavy involvement in various projects that span the entire fund range with the purpose of ensuring client outcomes are fair and within expectations. There will be significant opportunity to develop and improve these existing processes.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Work with Portfolio Risk & Analytics team and Fund managers in oversight risk meetings covering all aspects of investment risk to provide independent challenge;
- Creative approach to identifying risk and concentration issues or creating new, insightful analysis on funds;
- Aggregation, monitoring, and escalation of issues to Head of Investment Risk and other senior management;
- Develop new and existing processes for helping to ensure positive client outcomes, such as side-by-side risk analysis, and liquidity risk analysis;
- Present to prospective and existing clients, committees, and boards on investment risk, as appropriate;
- Contribution to the development of fund risk analysis;
- Build and maintain relationship between the Investment Risk team and other business support teams within the firm;
- Production of ad hoc reports for the business, focused on risk issues in the prevailing markets;
- Assist IT to develop new systems/feeds and enhance existing feeds. This may include investigating the data requirements for new instrument types, sourcing this data and testing the risk output; and
- Working closely with other members of the team, providing mentoring and technical support, as appropriate.
- Assumes additional duties as assigned.
Technical Skills and Qualifications
- Educated to degree level or equivalent;
- CFA or other professional qualification an advantage;
- Technical skills:
- Strong quantitative skills
- Knowledge of derivatives (types, valuation/pricing, risks)
- Experience analysing portfolio risks
- Knowledge of risk models and concepts such as tracking error, VaR, and stress testing methodologies together with an appreciation of their limitations
- Working knowledge of Bloomberg, Barra, RiskMetrics or similar systems beneficial; and
- Advanced Excel / VBA required, knowledge of R / Python interesting.
- Team orientated;
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken;
- Ability to recognise and prioritise a wide variety of impending issues;
- Ability to plan and organise workload to perform both routine and ad hoc tasks;
- Proactive and self-sufficient;
- Ability to build strong working relationships with internal clients;
- Ability to work closely with external software providers as and when required;
- Ability to use initiative and influence a variety of stakeholders across all levels of the business;
- Excellent attention to detail;
- Ability to build relationships with key personnel such as fund managers and distribution;
- Ability to assimilate knowledge quickly with a desire to improve knowledge of all products/funds;
- A flexible approach with the ability to think laterally, and particularly a desire to create analysis that will bring out the key risks in a clear way;
- Excellent analytical skills, with the ability to present detailed analysis in a clear and concise manner; and
- High degree of numeracy.
Ongoing competence in the role to be assessed by:
- Annual Performance Appraisal; and
- Completion of all assigned Compliance training.
At a minimum the role requires the individual to:
- Place the interest of Clients first and always act in accordance with TCF (Treating Customers Fairly) principles;
- Understand and comply with any federal, state, and foreign laws and regulations applicable for the role, and seeking the guidance of Compliance if this is unclear at any time; and
- Understand and comply with all relevant policies applicable for the role, and seeking the guidance of the relevant policy owner if this is unclear at any time.
The individual in the role is ultimately accountable for his/her own actions and is responsible for seeking further information on any or all of the above as necessary