About The Company
Established in 1934, the company Investors is one of the worlds leading independent global asset management firms with £80bn assets under management and employees over 900 people worldwide.
The firm provides institutional, retail and high net-worth clients with access to skilled investment professionals representing a broad range of asset classes, including equities, fixed income, and private capital.
About The Role
The Portfolio Risk and Analytics team which is part of the front office market risk function support the portfolio managers in ensuring the fund risk profile reflects the investors’ expectations. The team is also involved in helping the fund manager in achieving their objectives and/or improving their risk return profiles. The team meets its objectives by measuring, analysing and monitoring risk and performance measures and ensuring it is consistent with client expectations. Furthermore, as part of the process, understanding the fund manager views and convictions are crucial to ensure alignment with the fund aim and risk profile.
The team uses an array of tools to calculate risk metrics which calculation we try to automate as much as possible so that our team members spends more of their time understanding the risks in the portfolios which may not be captured by standard risk models. This includes ad hoc analyses and sometimes the development of analytics tools either used by the team or deployed to the fund manager for their own use.
The team is located physically close to the majority of fund managers which is designed to maximise the benefits of communication/interaction with the fund managers on an ongoing basis. There are strong formal oversight and escalation mechanisms in place with regular risk meetings with fund managers chaired by senior investment or risk personnel and a monthly Investment Performance and Risk Committee attended by senior investment and risk personnel.
Ultimately the aim of the role is to ensure fund risk profiles reflect client expectations and to support the fund manager in continuously improving the risk / return profile delivered to investors. This will include but not limited to: ownership of the relationship with the fund manager, ownership of the identification of visible and hidden risks in the portfolios covered, ownership of escalation and resolution of issues when identified, drive forward the development of analytics and/or automation of existing analytics on the desk, etc.
This role will involve ownership of a group of funds. In this task, the role will be supported by more senior members of the team. While the role will have an asset class focus, we make every effort to cross fertilise between the asset classes within the team.
There is a requirement to escalate concerns and highlight the levels/split of risk to senior management including the Head of Portfolio Risk and Analytics. The nature of the role demands a quantitative mindset, programming ability and good knowledge of derivatives.
A strong understanding of fund risks and risk systems, as well as the strengths and weaknesses of them, will be a significant advantage. Strong candidates will possess good communication/ interpersonal skills, a good understanding of risk models and different investment processes combined with self-sufficiency and initiative.
- Responsibility for ensuring the creation / analysis of regular risk attribution reports for assigned funds for use by the Fund Managers, Head of Portfolio Risk and Analytics, CIO, CRO, and other interested users of the data such as senior management, marketing, and compliance
- Work with Fund managers in regular 1-2-1 or oversight risk meetings covering all aspects of investment risk, performance and other relevant metrics to help manage the portfolio in the client’s best interest.
- Creative approach to coming up with different ways to slice up risk and performance or create new, insightful analysis on funds.
- Escalation of issues to senior management
- Contribution to the development of fund risk analysis
- Build and maintain relationship between the Risk team and other business support teams within the firm.
- Production of adhoc reports for the business, focused on risk issues in the prevailing markets.
- Respond to direct requests from Fund Managers and proactively interact with them
- Assist IT to develop new systems/feeds and enhance existing feeds. This may include investigating the data requirements for new instrument types, sourcing this data and testing the risk output.
- Assist the team in suggesting new analytics that will be beneficial to Fund Managers and senior management in the understanding of investment risk.
- Working closely with other members of the team, providing mentoring and technical support, as appropriate.
Skills & Experience
- Educated to degree level or equivalent
- CFA or other professional qualification an advantage
- Technical skills:
- Quantitative skills & high degree of numeracy
- Some knowledge of derivatives (types, valuation/pricing, risks)
- Knowledge of relevant asset class
- Knowledge of risk models and concepts such ad tracking error, VaR, and stress testing methodologies together with an appreciation of their limitations
- 3-5 years experience in a similar buy side market risk role
- Working knowledge of Bloomberg, RiskMetrics, UBS Delta, Cognity, Barra or similar systems beneficial.
- Advanced Excel /VBA required, knowledge of R and / or python very beneficial
- Team orientated
- Excellent communication skills, both written and spoken
- Ability to plan and organise workload to perform both routine and adhoc tasks
- Proactive and self sufficient
- Ability to build strong working relationships with internal clients
- Ability to work closely with external software providers as and when required
- Ability to use initiative and influence a variety of stakeholders across all levels of the business
- Excellent attention to detail
- Ability to build relationships with key personnel such as fund managers and distribution
- Ability to assimilate knowledge quickly with a desire to improve knowledge of all products/funds
- A flexible approach with the ability to think laterally
- Excellent analytical skills, with the ability to present detailed analysis in a clear and concise manner
- High degree of numeracy