An exciting opportunity has arisen for either an Investment Risk Manager or a Senior Investment Risk Manager, depending on experience, to join the Investment Risk Management team at a leading investment management firm in London.
About The Company
The company in invests in various asset classes, for numerous clients, from operations based in Edinburgh, Boston and London, and has subsidiary operations in India and China. The Investment Risk Team is part of the Investment Governance Team, which is an integral part of the control environment. The team aims to ensure that the various investment teams throughout the company Investments operate within constraints consistent with regulatory and client expectations, both in terms of performance aspirations and risk tolerances. The responsibilities of this role will focus particularly on the asset classes that are managed from the London office. This includes Emerging market Debt, Fund of Funds (MyFolio), and the firm's Wealth business which encompasses a range of asset classes.
About The Role
The Investment Risk Management team is broadly allocated into three functions;
- Quantitative Risk team
- Portfolio Analytics
- Portfolio Oversight
Approximately 80% of this role will focus on Portfolio Oversight activities, whilst also incorporating some aspects of Portfolio Analytics responsibilities.
A key responsibility of the Portfolio Risk oversight team is the monitoring and analysis of the market and liquidity risk profiles of the company's portfolios. This enables the team to ensure that company portfolios are being managed with an appropriate level of risk, in line with client, regulatory and in-house expectations. In addition to risk managing the company's portfolios, the responsibilities of this role include informing internal stakeholders and committees of portfolio risk positioning, and supporting the Global Client Group in enabling new products and servicing of clients. The Portfolio Analytics aspects of this role may include provision of consultancy and reporting services across the wider business for risk and portfolio analytics information.
- Liaison with colleagues in Investment Governance, Asset Class Managers and Client Directors to define exposure and risk controls for fund mandates
- Liaison with colleagues in Investment Governance to define house limits
- Independent risk monitoring of investment strategies to ensure consistency with fund objectives and regulations
- Working with Investment Governance colleagues to ensure appropriate escalation and resolution of fund mandate limit breaches
- Provide robust and credible challenge into Investment Governance portfolio review meetings with portfolio managers.
- Providing commentary of portfolio risk profile positioning and trends, for portfolio managers, board and committee packs.
- Assessment of portfolio risk with respect to emerging risks in financial markets
- Portfolio stress and scenario testing and setting trigger points for risk reduction
- First point of contact for key stakeholders within aligned asset classes, providing adhoc risk analysis as appropriate.
- Effective representation of the Investment Risk Management team in risk-focused discussions across the company
- Demonstrates good understanding of the firm’s portfolio products.
- Will be involved in Risk Management projects of moderate complexity
- Contribute as required, to the broader investment governance activities, including portfolio reviews and the company's Risk & Exposures Committee.
- Senior Risk Managers within this role will be expected to provide guidance to more junior staff.
Key Knowledge / Experience / Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree in mathematics or another highly numerical discipline
- Experience in a risk or quantitative role
- Knowledge of investment industry and financial markets
- Advanced Excel
- Investment risk manager experience
- Understanding of risk factors that drive asset returns
- Knowledge of portfolio and financial theory
- Working knowledge of risk model(s): RiskMetrics, APT, UBS Delta, Northfield
- Working knowledge of investment systems: Bloomberg, Factset, Datastream
- Professional Risk Manager (PRM) certification or willing to work towards this
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Willingness to take responsibility
- Team spirit / ability and desire to work as a part of a team
- Self Motivation ( Self Starter )
- “Can-do” attitude
- Analytical Thinking
- Accuracy & Numeracy
- Planning & Organisation
- Good presentation skills
Possible Career Paths
The risk management area is rapidly expanding as the business demand on this area grows. There will be multiple opportunities for the individual to develop and specialise across asset classes and sophisticated products.
- Customer Focus – works hard to understand the needs of internal and external customers and tailors approach appropriately.
- Preference for action – is proactive and takes the lead in identifying information and opportunities for building positive relationships with key customers.
- Achievement Drive – is motivated to get results and is driven to ensure potential of self
- Teamwork – will support others and will build relationships with colleagues within and out with immediate business area.
- Communicating and Influencing – enthusiastic when dealing with others and listens to customer needs. Takes steps to build rapport and to maintain ongoing contact with internal colleagues. Uses a range of influencing tools and techniques to persuade others to act.
- Information Gathering – works hard to collate information to ensure full picture is understood and decisions can be made. Identifies a range of relevant sources for obtaining information. Must be able to spot trends and anomalies in data.
- Professionalism and Business Integrity – is open and honest when dealing with others and presents the company in the best way possible way.
- Networking – builds range of contacts and uses their knowledge to gain business advantage.
- Creative and Innovative Thinking – considers innovative ways to obtain and present information to customers.
- Tenacity/Resilience – does not back down when faced with pressure or difficult customers. Sees barriers as a challenge and will identify ways to overcome challenges.