About The Company
The company invests in various asset classes, for numerous clients, from operations based in Edinburgh, Boston and London, and has subsidiary operations in India and China. The Investment Risk Team is part of the Investment Governance Team, which is an integral part of the control environment. The team aims to ensure that the various investment teams throughout the firm operate within constraints consistent with regulatory and client expectations, both in terms of performance aspirations and risk tolerances.
About The Role
The Investment Risk Management team is broadly allocated into specialist functions. This role is for a Risk Manager in the Portfolio Analytics sub team. Key responsibilities of the team include:
- Accurate and timely provision of market and liquidity risk reports for portfolios.
- Provision of consultancy and reporting services across the wider business for risk and portfolio analytics information.
- Enhance the use of risk analytics tools across the company to optimise existing investment processes and provide a competitive advantage in client propositions.
- Liaison with internal and external data providers to ensure accurate and complete data feeds into risk models
- Daily production of market and liquidity risk profiles of company portfolios, using a range of third-party and in-house developed models
- Timely reporting of risk information for regulators, clients, internal customers, boards and committees
- Establish and maintain robust controls and documentation around the risk measurement processes
Skills & Qualifications
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in a numerical discipline
- Minimum of one year work experience in the asset management industry
- Strong numeracy skills and attention to detail
- Knowledge of financial instruments
- Advanced Excel
- Experience in a risk or quantitative role
- Understanding of risk factors and risk models
- Knowledge of portfolio and financial theory
- Understanding of investment risk techniques such as VaR
- Working knowledge of risk model(s): RiskMetrics, APT, UBS Delta, EMA, POINT
- Working knowledge of investment systems: Bloomberg, Factset, Datastream
- Programming skills: VBA, SQL Server
- IMC would be advantageous
- Accuracy & Numeracy
- Customer Focus
- Planning & Organisation
- Willingness to take responsibility
- Good communication skills
- Team spirit / ability and desire to work as a part of a team
- “Can-do” attitude
- Ideation and creative thinking
- Customer Focus – works hard to understand the needs of internal and external customers and tailors approach appropriately.
- Preference for action – is proactive and takes the lead in identifying information and opportunities for building positive relationships with key customers.
- Achievement Drive – is motivated to get results and is driven to ensure potential of self
- Teamwork – will support others and will build relationships with colleagues within and out with immediate business area.
- Communicating and Influencing – enthusiastic when dealing with others and listens to customer needs. Takes steps to build rapport and to maintain ongoing contact with internal colleagues. Uses a range of influencing tools and techniques to persuade others to act.
- Information Gathering – works hard to collate information to ensure full picture is understood and decisions can be made. Identifies a range of relevant sources for obtaining information. Must be able to spot trends and anomalies in data.
- Professionalism and Business Integrity – is open and honest when dealing with others and presents the firm in the best way possible.
- Creative and Innovative Thinking – considers innovative ways to obtain and present information to customers.
- Tenacity/Resilience – Sees barriers as a challenge and will identify ways to overcome challenges.