Our client invests in various asset classes, for numerous clients, from operations based in Edinburgh, Boston, and London, and has subsidiary operations in India and China. The Investment Risk Team is part of the Investment Governance Team, which is an integral part of the control environment. The team aims to ensure that the various investment teams throughout the business operate within constraints consistent with regulatory and client expectations, both in terms of performance aspirations and risk tolerances.
The Investment Risk Management team is broadly allocated into specialist functions. This role is for a Risk Manager in the Portfolio Analytics sub team.
The first key responsibility of the Portfolio Analytics team is the accurate and timely provision of market and liquidity risk reports for the portfolios. This enables the team to ensure that the portfolios are being managed with an appropriate level of risk, in line with client, regulatory and in-house expectations.
The second broader responsibility of the team is in the provision of consultancy and reporting services across the wider business for risk and portfolio analytics information. This ensures appropriate, consistent and accurate delivery of portfolio analytics across the firm and for external distribution.
The third responsibility of this team is to enhance the use of risk analytics tools across the company. This will enhance our existing investment processes and provide a competitive advantage in client propositions.
The appointee will work closely with the portfolio oversight risk managers, the portfolio management teams and the Global Client Group in the development and delivery of the team’s services.
- Work with key stakeholders within Investment Governance, portfolio management and the Global Client Group to understand their risk and portfolio analytics requirements.
- Daily production of market and liquidity risk profiles of our portfolios, using a range of third-party and in-house developed models
- Effective representation of the Investment Risk Management team in risk-focussed discussions across the company
- Liaison with internal and external data providers to ensure accurate and complete data feeds into our risk models
- Focus on efficiency, scalability and continuous improvement to ensure our risk analytics processes continue to add value.
- Timely reporting of risk information for regulators, clients, internal customers, boards and committees
- Establish and maintain robust controls and documentation around the risk measurement processes
- Contribute as required to the broader investment governance activities.
- Undergraduate degree, preferably in a numerical discipline
- Minimum of one year work experience in the asset management industry
- Understanding of investment risk techniques such as VaR
- Strong numeracy skills and attention to detail
- Knowledge of financial instruments
- Advanced Excel
- Experience in a risk or quantitative role
- Understanding of risk factors and risk models
- Knowledge of portfolio and financial theory
- Working knowledge of risk model(s): RiskMetrics, APT, UBS Delta
- Working knowledge of investment systems: Bloomberg, Factset, Datastream
- IMC/CFA/PRM would be advantageous
- Programming skills: VBA, Matlab, SQL Server
- Accuracy & Numeracy
- Customer Focus
- Planning & Organisation
- Willingness to take responsibility
- Good communication skills
- Team spirit / ability and desire to work as a part of a team
- “Can-do” attitude
- Ideation and creative thinking
Possible Career Paths
The requirement for risk analytics is rapidly expanding as the business demand on this area grows. This has led to the creation of a dedicated role to meet this need within the Investment Risk Management team. There will therefore be many opportunities for the individual to take on additional responsibilities and help define and shape this area going forward. There will also be opportunities to specialise within the role or to broaden knowledge and expertise across other areas of Investment Risk Management.