About The Company
As an international specialist insurer the company is far removed from the world of mass insurance products, selectively focusing on key areas of expertise and strength, all of which is underpinned by a culture that encourages challenge to convention and to always look for a better way.
Defined by their strong moral fibre they prioritise above all else the principle of doing what they say they will. Insuring the unique and interesting, the company's search for talent is the same. They empower their people to think creatively, challenge the status quo and approach things with a solutions focused lens. This results in the company being able to provide the type of insurance solutions which are often too complex for other insurance companies, the company strives to find a way where others give up.
The compay's straight talking culture is not for everyone but allows it to strive to improve in everything they do and never settle. Trust is integral to how they operate and it allows the company to work in an environment where every role has a high level of autonomy; freedom to forge your path and help set the wider agenda is evident in all parts of the organisation. Through embracing an environment that brings together people who are unique and interesting the comapny ensures building an enviroment where teams don’t all think the same – this, combined with a culture where courage to say what you think is not only actively encouraged but is central to our business model has defined our success.
If you thrive in a challenging and collaborative environment where you are trusted to work instinctively and know the company will stretch you to your full potential look no further.
About The Team
The Investment Team is responsible for oversight and management of the investment portfolios of all business units within the Group. The assets of the Group total £3.7bn.
Home to the company's operations, IT, Finance, HR, Marketing, Communications and Modelling teams. Each area attracts SME who have the drive and determination to impact the entire organisation and the courage to challenge the Business Units when they see a better way. Working from the centre people within Group have a unique overview of the entire company so finding the right people to be part of this business critical area is primary to everything. The company's people it it's success.
About The Role
Investment Risk Analyst. Working in the Investment Team with two primary functions – to run all aspects of the investment risk process, and to assist in the broader management of Group assets. Reporting to the senior investment analyst.
The successful candidate will enjoy significant responsibility to manage and develop the investment risk process and an opportunity to make a contribution to the general oversight of the Group investments.
This role focuses on assisting with development of the risk management framework to benefit the Group, business units and ensuring ongoing compliance with the operation of regulatory requirements. Specifically, we are looking for an enthusiastic, high calibre risk professional to actively support the Group Risk Manager and broader Risk Team; focussing on:
- Day to day management and running of the investment risk process for the company and it's entities
- Running the ESG from start to finish, from preparing the asset data and all parameterisation, to extracting, checking and interpreting results, and making adjustments as required. Working with the senior investment analyst and CIO to agree output.
- Liaison with the ESG provider. Review of ESG and other ESG providers and other investment models.
- Liaison with the company capital modelling team to ensure the investment inputs into the internal model meet requirements.
- Liaison with the company's risk team and input into the model validation process.
- Support regulatory submissions for the various entities across the Group and maintaining all practical and regulatory documentation regarding investment risk modelling.
- Running other models, including stress testing models, other spreadsheet based models, attribution of portfolio returns.
- Responding to ad hoc queries from the investment team and other teams within the company.
- Attendance at review meetings with bond managers, review of manager capabilities and performance, reporting manager views to the investment committees, review of other bond managers, replacement of managers and dealing with day to day queries concerning the managers.
- Input into the overall investment strategy, including asset allocation, risk management and reporting.
Essential technical requirements:
- Graduate or of graduate calibre
- Investment risk management experience gained within an insurance company
- Prior experience of an economic scenario generator (ESG) for use within investment risk framework
- Strong knowledge of the emerging insurance regulatory frameworks (e.g. Solvency II) and its commensurate requirements and implications for investment risk
- Progression towards FIA or CFA is desirable
Knowledge & Skills
- Preferably day to day knowledge of the Towers Watson ESG (or ability to learn and use it quickly), or experience of other ESGs.
- Ability to run and/or build other investment risk models
- Knowledge and understanding of financial markets
- Experience of working with external investment managers
- Motivated and critically minded person able to work independently to run and develop the investment risk process
- Proactive approach to areas of responsibility; using initiative to plan ahead for regular risk reporting, submission deadlines, and committee meeting cycles
- Highly results driven, with the energy and determination to succeed in a fast paced environment where the pace of response is critical to success
- Ability to think strategically, and be able to translate thinking into tangible plans to drive the business to achieve its agreed goals, combined with the willingness to perform detailed work
- Ability to build strong functional relationships across the Group
- Highly organized and efficient
- Strong quantitative, analytical and qualitative skills
- Creative and innovative
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, capable of working with people of diverse nationalities, across various geographic locations, at all levels within and external to the business