About The Role
Portfolio Risk leads or provides significant technical input into a number of investment risk related matters:
- Monitoring mandate compliance to ensure breaches are correctly identified and where practicable forewarned to reduce breach incidence
- Modelling and monitoring of market related risks (including liquidity and counterparty exposures) within and across portfolios to support investment decision making, front office oversight, product development and investor information provision.
- Providing quantitative and qualitative input when requested eg assessment and validation of derivative valuation methodologies, model validations
- Ensuring the company's products comply with relevant regulatory requirements including UCITS and AIFMD.
The team has a number of key stakeholders including front office, Operations teams, Distribution including Product, Sales, Client Management and Marketing, Regulatory and Operational Risk, and a number of oversight committees. The team also has a working relationship with AAM’s other risk teams including the Global Head of Portfolio Risk Management & Control, and shares best practice, experience and processes etc where appropriate.
The Head of Portfolio Risk is responsible for the quality of the team’s service delivery including ongoing improvements, the budgeting and resourcing of the team, and development of the team members.
- Ensure all the team’s monitoring and reporting tasks are completed accurately, clearly and within timescales.
- Ensure any breaches flagged through the monitoring process, or by third parties (e.g. depositary) are fully investigated and recorded.
- Lead the team’s efforts to develop its services and processes to enhance what is produced, improve efficiency and/or reduce operational risk
- Lead the team’s information provision and contribution to oversight/control committees and work with the committees to enhance this.
- Manage the team and its workload, including resource planning, budgeting, team development and training etc
- Develop and maintain relationships with all key stakeholders.
- As manager, act as role model for your team and within Operations and the company as a whole.
- Lead and manage the team’s contribution into projects and initiatives across Operations and Asset Management including working with other AAM risk teams and the Global Head of Portfolio Risk and Control to develop and align common standards.
- Take responsibility for the team’s compliance with the company's policies and standards, and the regulatory and legislative regime as they impact the team.
In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed, the job holder may be required to perform other duties assigned by his/her manager from time to time so long as such duties are within the scope and ability of the job holder.
Skills & Qualifications
- Significant experience of managing a broad portfolio risk function including service delivery and enhancement, managing stakeholders, managing a team including performance management, employee development and budgeting
- Significant experience of the requirements of monitoring mandate compliance and managing/escalating breaches and other arising issues
- Strong quantitative risk knowledge and understanding, with a high level of relevant professional/academic qualifications
- Significant knowledge and understanding of relevant legislation including UCITS, AIFMD
- Significant knowledge of derivative instruments and markets, especially fixed income instruments, including trading, pricing and associated risks
- Excellent leadership, communication and interpersonal skills and excellent problem solving and analytical capabilities.
- Significant experience of using thinkFolio, UBS Delta, APT, Bloomberg, VBA, Matlab
- Investment Management
- Oversight Committees
- Global Head of Portfolio Risk Management & Control