Within the professional services environment, the application of risk management procedures is fundamental to the successful delivery of our client services and promotion of our brand. Risk management encompasses the technical support and processes which underpin the delivery of service quality, contain the threat of litigation, limit damage to our reputation and achieve full fee recovery. This role is a key component of that aim ensuring we comply with the data protection act.
The Risk Management (RM) group is responsible for the promotion and support of risk management within the business. RM's aim is to uphold our business standards, maintain and enhance the value of the firm, and ensure that the UK&I firm complies with the rules and regulations imposed either by external regulators or our internal guidance about the conduct of our business.
The Central Risk team is responsible for supporting the UK&I firm in the execution of and compliance with Global, Regional and local risk management policies and procedures, including financial crime, data protection and the development, maintenance, communication and training of key RM policies, providing advice on complex risk matters and monitoring the application of these policies. The team consists of a Risk Partner, a Financial Crime Director, Data Protection Officer and supporting managers and associates.
There is an opening in the team for a new Data Protection Senior Manager. This role includes leadership and oversight of two Data Protection managers.
The main purpose of the role is to ensure the firm’s compliance with applicable privacy legislation, currently the Data Protection Act 1998 (“the Act”).
The role will involve interaction with employees of the UK firm, employees of the global network, third party service providers and the Information Commissioner ensuring that the firm’s ongoing requirement for Data Protection compliance is understood and satisfied.
Your key responsibilities
Acting as the focal point for all aspects of the firm’s compliance with the Act and related legislation, specific activities include:
- Responsibility for managing the firm’s data incident process, associated risk assessments and advising the business on an appropriate course of action.
- Liaising with Legal Counsel to ensure contracts with clients and third parties protect the firm.
- Ensuring that requests from data subjects are dealt with promptly and in compliance with current privacy law.
- Managing periodic audits of data protection compliance within the firm and identifying actions necessary for remediation.
- Responding to all privacy/confidentiality matters related to the privacy framework asked by external regulators, auditors and clients.
- Providing appropriate advice and interpretation of the provisions of the Act as they impact the firm’s activities in general and/or specific functions across all service lines and business units.
- Implementation of the Global Privacy Framework (including Binding Corporate Rules) within the UK firm.
- Maintaining the general data protection web based training programme within the firm and delivering other ad hoc awareness and in-depth training as necessary.
- Ensuring that the firm’s notifications to the Information Commissioner are maintained and up to date and accurate.
Skills and attributes for success
- You will have good personal communication skills capable of dealing with wide range of staff, including senior personnel.
- The ability to remain calm, controlled and resilient.
- Proven ability to establish and maintain a high degree of confidentiality, respect, trust and credibility at all levels.
- Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively.
- Ability to plan, organise and prioritise tasks and projects.
- Negotiation and influencing skills.
- Enthusiastic and positive.
- Ability to take responsibility and act autonomously.
- Strong team player and proven ability to lead and manage a team.
To qualify for the role you must have
- Industry recognised Privacy qualification.
- This post calls for the intellectual abilities normally associated with education to degree level standard.
Ideally, you'll also have
- Experience of working in a financial or professional services environment.