We are recruiting for an experienced Conflicts Officer to join our Global Business Intake Group. The post holders primary responsibilities will be: Conflicts of Interest, Confidentiality and Client Alignment
- Analysing information contained in the global conflict management systems to identify potential legal and commercial conflicts of interest, confidentiality issues, as well as client;
- Ensuring matters and clients are analysed and accepted in a manner that complies with conflict rules around the global network, client relationship agreements, and with the firm’s strategic commercial aims in various jurisdictions and sectors;
- Liaising with partners and lawyers around the global network to establish whether conflicts and/or confidentiality issues arise, and providing advice in relation to preferred legal/commercial outcomes;
- Applying the firm’s information barrier procedures including creating, amending and removing information barriers as required.Assisting fee earners with analysis of circumstances in which information barriers should be applied;
- Maintaining records relevant to client and matter inception, and managing housekeeping and administrative tasks to ensure systems are up to date and efficient.
New client acceptance
- Assisting with due diligence requirements in compliance with anti-money laundering regulations and laws and firm policy by:
- Conducting a risk based assessment of new clients and applying a proportionate level of due diligence;
- Identifying and advising on increased regulatory and commercial risk issues and following the firm's procedures for addressing these risks where identified; and
- Creating a central record of due diligence undertaken and saving it to the firm's document management system and liaising with the Client & Matter Opening Team (Finance Department) to ensure that risk information is added to the firm's practice management system.
New matter acceptance
- Advising on client engagement and matter structuring issues by:
- Reviewing new matter requests to identify any regulatory or commercial risk issues and advising on the appropriate course of action to address those risks (according to firm policy); and
- Liaising with the Client & Matter Opening Team (Finance Department) to ensure that risk information is added to the firm's practice management system.
Monitoring, audit and review
- Assisting with monitoring compliance with firm policy and procedures
- Assisting with designing and undertaking audits of risk-related subjects
- Assisting with reviews of policies and procedures
- Advising on due diligence to comply with anti-bribery procedures and firm policy;
- Advising on any other due diligence as required from time-to-time to assist other team members as required;
The Global Business Intake Group team is engaged in a number of projects and initiatives relevant to law firm risk management. The team is also designing and implementing new systems and processes. Officers are expected (and encouraged) to become involved with Global Business Intake Group initiatives and support their colleagues, managers and the Global Head of Risk on a wide range of activities.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- An understanding of conflicts and confidentiality principles as set out in the Solicitors Regulatory Authority Code of Conduct.
- Working knowledge of the SRA Code of Conduct 2011 and OFR.
- Knowledge of the Money Laundering Regulations 2007 and how they are applied in the context of international legal practice.
- Knowledge of the Market Abuse Directive and Data Protection Act.
- An understanding of the types of matters typically undertaken by international law firms, and experience in dealing with Partners and other stakeholders in the resolution of conflict and alignment issues.
- Excellent communication and drafting skills.
- Ability to approach challenges in a logical way, identifying issues in complex situations and present potential solutions succinctly.
- Calm, professional manner in the face of competing demands.
- Pro-active, flexible and willing to learn.
- Committed to developing a career in law firm risk-management.
Qualifications / Experience
- Experience of working in a commercial law firm is essential.
- Being admitted to practise law in a jurisdiction in which the firm is established or a Commonwealth jurisdiction would be an advantage.